Thursday, August 24, 2006

Ignoring Local Voices

Highly recommended piece from The Onion this week:

"Sometimes I Feel Like I'm The Only One Trying To Gentrify This Neighborhood"

Money quote:

I've tried being proactive. But none of the locals I've talked to about bringing in a co-op health-food grocery store have seemed excited at all. Nor have I gotten any of them to take part in my community open-house idea for hip young people to come see what this neighborhood is capable of. What did they do instead? They had a barbecue. With very loud music.


I mean, I don't want the people here to leave. I just want them to stay inside more. Especially if they're not going to do anything to bring this community to life. But they're always out on their stoops, just playing dominoes or talking. I like talking, but I do it inside, where it was meant to be done. It makes me uncomfortable to have people watching me all the time. Not that I think they'd do anything, but I just like to be a little more private.


This is actually a really sharp example of how "community change" efforts happen in cases where even people with the best intentions fail to take into account the value and power of local voices.

2 Comments:

Blogger mw said...

Patrick,
You are aware that the Onion is a humor site and the article you cite is a piece of fictional satire?

5:19 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Well my humor compass is admittedly impaired because I'm having a difficult time determining if this comment is a bit of wry humor or not.

I'll error on the side of sincerity and simply say that, yes, I am indeed aware of the purpose that The Onion serves.

However the piece that I cite, sadly, is a pretty accurate representation of how some agencies and organizations approach community change. Which is of course what makes it such brilliant satire.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home